Thursday, October 14, 2010

Interview with a stone / tile designer

I am sorry, dear readers, for leaving you for so long. The truth is, that business has picked up and that I have been working on my business and my new website.
Below, you will find another brief interview with Lisa from Ideal Tile here in Boston. They have several locations, and I am very happy to have one here! I always go to Lisa with my questions and needs, and she always has a solution. She knows that I like different things for my clients, and she also knows that I like to think outside of the box. In short, she “gets” me. Enjoy, and as always, please feel free to send me any questions and/or comments!

1. WHAT ARE SOME CURRENT TRENDS IN TILE / STONE DESIGN?
Large format tiles such as 12X24 are very popular, even for small spaces. Minimal grout lines are easy to clean and it creates the feeling of continuity.

2. WHAT ARE SOME COMMON MISCONCEPTIONS PEOPLE HAVE ABOUT USING STONE AND/OR TILE?
Many people assume that natural stone requires a lot of maintenance to keep it looking beautiful. The truth is it just needs to be sealed with a penetrating water based stone sealer. Regular stone sealers should be applied once a year but there are also heavy duty sealers that can last up to 15 years.

3. WHAT ARE SOME POINTS TO CONSIDER WHEN SELECTING A STONE OR TILE FOR A PROJECT?
You should always consider the size of the space and the style of the house before selecting tile. It is also nice to consider the resale factor. Neutral colors are the best way to achieve a look that everyone loves.

4. WHEN YOU ARE WORKING WITH A CLIENT OR WITH ANOTHER DESIGNER, WHAT ARE SOME OF THE QUESTIONS YOU ASK, WHAT DO YOU NEED TO KNOW?
I like to know the size of the space, the style of the house, and the client’s personal taste before I begin to get creative with a project.

5. WHAT ARE SOME MISTAKES PEOPLE MAKE WHEN SELECTING A STONE OR TILE?
Some people think they should use a small tile if they have a small room, but this can make the space seem very busy and make it look even smaller.

6. IS THERE REALLY A STONE OR TILE FOR EVERY PRICE POINT AND BUDGET?
Our showroom may look very upscale but we have a wide range of products. We cater to the needs of every person with any budget.

No comments:

Post a Comment