Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Interview with a Lighting Designer

From time to time, I am going to feature interviews with some of the interesting people I have the privilege of knowing, being friends with and working with. This is the first of these interviews. Zhanna Drogobetsky is a lighting designer and the owner of Casa Design Boston, a high-end design showroom and studio in Boston. She is also a dear friend and former boss. I asked her some questions for you, my readers, that I often ask her myself. Lighting is not my specialty, and I often consult with her when preparing a lighting plan for my clients’ projects.


1. WHAT ARE SOME OF THE COMMON MISTAKES PEOPLE MAKE IN LIGHTING THEIR SPACES?

I find most people tend to use too many recess lights resulting in a Swiss cheese effect on the ceiling. People need to understand that a little goes a long way.


2. WHAT TYPES OF LIGHTING DO PEOPLE NEED TO HAVE IN EVERY SPACE? IN THEIR LIVING ROOM OR FAMILY ROOM, FOR EXAMPLE?

People need to mix their lighting distribution. For example, in the living room have recessed lights and wall sconces. That allows you to create different lighting moods.


3. IF PEOPLE ARE ON A BUDGET, WHERE CAN THEY SAVE MONEY, AND WHERE SHOULD THEY REALLY SPLURGE?

You can really save money on the recessed lighting. Where you should not save, is on the chandeliers or suspension lights – they really make a statement.


4. CAN YOU “OVER LIGHT” OR “UNDER LIGHT” A SPACE?

Yes, you can over light the space with, once again, too many recessed lights or too many wall sconces, and of course you can under light the space by not using enough. That, however, can quickly be solved with a great floor lamp.


5. WHAT ARE SOME OF THE QUESTIONS YOU ASK CLIENTS WHEN DESIGNING A LIGHTING PLAN, AND WHAT ARE SOME OF THE THINGS CLIENTS SHOULD COME PREPARED TO ANSWER?

The clients should be aware of all the ceiling heights, room dimensions, and a rough idea of the placement of the furniture. They also should think about what art will be on the walls, and their lifestyle. For example, if they love to read and work in bed, they should consider table side reading lights, or swivel arm wall sconces.


6. FINAL THOUGHTS?

I love Jason!


I hope that this has helped you, my readers, when thinking about lighting in your own spaces. Lighting can be tricky, but it can really change the atmosphere of a space. Different lighting types can completely change the ambiance of a room, so it is important to have several types of lighting so the space becomes more usable for more situations.

Stay tuned for interviews with kitchen and bath designers, tile and stone experts, and perhaps I will even interview myself about design and style!

No comments:

Post a Comment