Thursday, February 18, 2010

Things I Like: Lighting

I’d like to introduce some of my favorite items, companies, pieces, etc. So, following on the heels of my interview with Zhanna, the lighting designer, I thought it most appropriate to introduce some of my favorite lighting pieces, collections, designers and companies. Here we go!

Everyone has stood in the shadow of Italy for decades as the design center of the universe. Recently Spain has started to come into its own as a country of really fantastic designers. It is refreshing to see some really cool companies emerging and holding their own. Two of my newest favorites are Fambuena and Arturo Alvarez. Fambuena is a little sexier and flirty, with a gentle nod to retro-styling. Arturo Alvarez, however, tends to be more fun, whimsical, and innovative in its use of materials.
Fambuena “Dress” floor lamp; “Dress”” suspension; “Swing” suspension

Alvarez “V” floor lamp and Alvarez “Nevo” floor lamp

Alvarez “Bety”

The three big lighting companies – Flos, Artemide, and Foscarini – have been around for a very long time and have some of the most iconic and most photographed pieces in their collections. Foscarini is the most playful and least formal of the three, whereas Artemide is extremely understated and Flos has a more substantial look.
Artemide “Mercury” suspension

Foscarini “Twiggy” floor lamp and Flos “Skygarden” suspension


Last but not least, is probably one of the most “out there” companies around, and I love them! I am in love with everything Moooi does. Their pieces are really objects, pieces of sculpture, and you really do not need more than one piece. Such a shame!
Moooi “Horselamp” floor lamp and “Light Shade Shade” series

Moooi “Random Light” suspension and “Raimond” suspension

I hope you have all enjoyed some of my current faves. Maybe this has inspired you to explore, take a chance, or break out of a holding pattern. If you have any questions about anything you have seen here, please feel free to ask!

No comments:

Post a Comment